Follow these tips from Thelma to make her famous toffee:
* Use a heavy bottomed pan to cook sugar, water and butter. Cook rather slowly—stir on occasion but not all the time.
* When choosing your chocolate, buy the expensive stuff—tastes better if it's at least 50% cacao. I like using 72% cacao.
* Don't lick your utensils in between stirrings.
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 lb pecan halves
- 8 oz chocolate baking bar
Butter a 9” x 13” pan. Cook butter, sugar and water until candy thermometer reads 300°. Your candy mixture will be ready in about 20 minutes. Put single layer of pecans in the buttered pan and pour candy mixture over them. After this is cool, melt chocolate baking bar in the microwave for 1 minute. Spread half on candy. Cool, flip, then spread remaining on bottom. Cool until firm, then break into pieces.